Monday, August 22, 2011

Lengthening My Bedskirt

Hello, and happy Monday...

This weekend, I took on a little unplanned home project. I went to Hancock Fabrics on Saturday to pick up some trim for my curtains (more on that later). While I was perusing the fabric selection there, I came across this orange cotton fabric that was on sale. I loved the shade, and thought about what I could do with it in my bedroom.

Since I have started my bedroom redesign, I added risers from Target onto the bottom of the bed, to provide more storage (plus, I like the look of the taller bed). The only problem with it has been that the bedskirt, which is from Ikea, was about 4 inches too short. It's been bothering me for a few weeks, and I had actually done a little searching for extra long bedskirt on the internet.

I didn't find anything online that I thought would work. If I was going to buy a new bedskirt, I wanted it to at least be interesting and pretty, and nothing was fitting the bill. A little lightbulb went off when I saw this orange fabric at Hancock, though, and I decided to add onto the bottom of the bedskirt with it. I bought 2 yards of it.

Unfortunately, I was dumb and didn't take "before" pics of the short-ness -- you will have to imagine it. Not hard. Just imagine being able to see 4 inches of crap stored underneath the bed - not a good look.

here's how I did it, and the outcome:

Here are all of my supplies laying out. I bought Niagara brand starch, and got out my iron and my hot glue gun. If I had a sewing machine (that worked - note to self: have mine fixed asap), I'd have sewn it, but I didn't, so I just hot-glued everything in place. Obviously, this bedskirt is not something that I'm using and abusing often - it sits in place, and rarely gets touched, so it wasn't imperative that it be durably sewn together. Plus, I've used my hot glue gun on fabrics enough to know how to keep it from looking hot-glued. :)
Photobucket

I cut 3 long strips out of the fabric. I wanted about 4" added to the length of the bedskirt, so I cut each strip at 6". That gave me 1" to fold and glue under, and 1" to glue to the end of the current bedskirt, leaving me 4".

Photobucket

Photobucket
First, I sprayed the fabric strip with lots of starch, and folded the "bottom" end under and ironed it. This does a lot of the work for you. After that, I just hot glued into the fold, and pressed down. I did this all along the bottom end of all 3 long strips.

(PS Starch is amazing. Somehow, I've never used it. Hah! We were never much of an ironing family, so I never learned about the amazingness of starch. I love it now, though, and actually, when I started using it, it reminded me of how my Nana used to sew dresses and things for me when I was little, and she always used her hot iron and starch a lot in the process. :) )

Photobucket
hot gluing the ends under

Photobucket
Next, I just attached my orange piece to my bedskirt. Quite easy.

Photobucket
Folding the ends under, and starching/ironing/gluing just like I did with the other bits.

The hardest part of this project was taking the bedskirt on and off the bed! Not easy, but worth it. Check out my final results!

Photobucket
I'm really happy with the orange, because I had been wanting to add something else orange into the room (other than the lamps), and this was a really fun, unexpected touch.

I'm so happy that both the orange lamps and the orange on the bedskirt are the exact same!

Photobucket

Photobucket

The colors are a little nuts here, but this is the other side of the bed:
Photobucket

Photobucket
I'm particularly proud of the pleated areas. To get those to work properly, I just heavy starched them, and ironed them down really well.

Photobucket
Mika models, as usual.

Hope you like!

Just for fun (and maybe if you are new here), here are the other DIY projects I've taken on in this room, since painting it:

-Bought a vintage starburst mirror, and customized the metal color with some faux painting skillz

14 comments:

  1. Love this idea Kristen! I will be doing it myself! Although I have a sewing machine, I will be using your technique. Waaaay better!

    www.sadieandstella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the unexpected pop of orange on the bedskirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, you guys!

    sadie + stella - yes, a sewing machine is much better! i'm inspired now to dig mine out of the attic and get it fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! Love the orange! And that's my favorite starch to iron with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taking this idea and running with it! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you, everyone! can't wait to see your outcome, lakeitha!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great job you've done, Kristen. I'm truly inspired by your projects!
    Take care,
    Lori
    www.lorimayinteriors.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! It looks awesome and you'd never knew it was glued :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. really love how the lamp ties in with the border on the bed skirt. Love this room

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so great!!! Very custom, and love the pleat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the bedskirt!

    Saw this today and there are many gorgeous things in here that reminded me of your room.

    Shams. Lamps.

    http://www.houseofturquoise.com/2011/08/porter-design-company.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our range of lift and tilt chairs are not only the best selection around, but are also backed by our best UK price guarantee. FREE next day delivery & 5 year guarantee as standard, riser recliners chairs.

      Delete
  12. Loving it all! I have one of the mirrored night stands as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our range of lift and tilt chairs are not only the best selection around, but are also backed by our best UK price guarantee. FREE next day delivery & 5 year guarantee as standard, electric riser recliners.

    ReplyDelete