Sunday, October 3, 2010

mr. zebra is done!

last post, i wrote about how i was trying to make my own decorative paper mache zebra, a la this one at anthropologie. i finished him this weekend, and i love the way he turned out. i'm doing this project for my stepbrother and sister-in-law's baby boy's future nursery. i plan to share the progress of the nursery with you guys (they're letting me help decorate and paint, woo hoo!), so i thought i'd start out by sharing the completed zebra!
Photobucket
i left off with mr. zebra drying after i applied the paper mache, so this morning, i went in and added some ears and hair. once again, jordan's trash saved the day! hah! i was going to search the house for some cardboard (this project really has been pretty much ALL recycled items for the supplies), but it was an easy find when i noticed jordan had put his cereal box next to the trash this morning. perfect for zebra ears.
Photobucket

i drew out a zebra ear, then cut it out with scissors.
Photobucket

after i cut out the first ear, i used it as a template for the second ear - so that my zebra ears wouldn't be mis-matched.
Photobucket

i glued his ears on with a hot glue gun, then it was time for the hair. i wasn't really sure what i was going to use for hair, but my overflowing craft drawers came to the rescue on that one. i had these old toothpick things from another project, and i figured they'd be the perfect thing to use for his hair. i used hot glue to glue them on, and just held them in place while the glue dried.
Photobucket

after everything was dry, i used black spraypaint to spray his hair black. i knew it'd be pretty impossible to get all those spikes painted with a brush, so spraypaint it was (and obviously it has to be done before you do the rest of his stripes!)
Photobucket

after THAT dried, it was time for his stripes. i painted his entire head white, then just kind of freehanded stripes on. i didn't want him to be "perfect" so a freehanded look was fine by me. his ears were also painted black, along with his snout ;)
Photobucket
i went and got a wooden plaque from michael's (really the only item i had to buy for this whole project), and spraypainted it orange. i painted a scalloped pattern on the front, and added a hook on the back so that we could hang it later on.
Photobucket

Photobucket

the little hook was from michael's too - in the frame section.

Photobucket

mr. zebra is pretty light-weight, so i just hot-glued him onto the plaque! i used a lot of glue, and he seems very stuck. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

***

all in all, this project was not totally easy, per se, but if you are a crafty person, you can probably tackle it! i had a blast doing it....perhaps next ill make a deer....or a buffalo....or a moose...hmmmm. anyway, i really look forward to sharing the progress of our nursery project with everyone!



4 comments:

  1. The hair looks perfect! I love the picture of it not yet painted on the stove... it has an eye looking at you

    ReplyDelete
  2. so happy to find your blog!! i'm going to try my luck with making a zebra as well and it's great to see your process...
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your project is really outstanding. It looks perfect and the things used to do zebra is really interesting. I liked it very much.
    http://mydissertation.tumblr.com/
    http://esessaywritingservicesusa.tumblr.com/
    http://coursework-writing-services.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super website with a great sharing and amazing stories is ur web.. please keep doing what u do now.. thanks to you.
    Agen Bandarq
    Agen domino
    Domino Online
    agen Bandarq
    Bandar domino99 agen domino online

    ReplyDelete